Saturday, March 28, 2009

sub-product !!!

This morning, I want to talk about something that make me in trouble.
really sometime big company make decision that a boy like me a simple user don't understand.

it is really hard to wear their shoes (big company one).

so here is my concern:

the other day, I was going to set up a Filckr account, I confess I got one in the past, but I forget with what email address and what password, so visiting the Filckr I saw that I have to register with a yahoo account.

I am a fervent user of Gmail, why should I create a new yahoo account in order to use Filckr?

even the concept of a dependency between (email, photo-sharing) bug my mind.

ok let resume :

1)you can't use Filckr without a yahoo account.
2)you can't use Google reader, Google Doc , Picasa.. without a Google account.

and this is really stupid.

here is why:

yahoo or Google or msn or any other big company think that they have a PRODUCT and they build around sub Product.

Filckr is a sub-product of (yahoo account).
Greader is a sub-product of (google account).

it is a way to recognize their users, yahoo and Google make a small tattoo on our face to recognize us.

it is just a tribal culture.

now when a Sub-product, begin to be worth "product" labeling, then you have and you should open it to a wide rang of public.

the reputation of Filckr go beyond yahoo.
the reputation of Greader go beyond Google.

how could yahoo benefit from a user that create a "throug it" account just to use Filckr?
how could yahoo benefit for a user that use Gmail as a main email service.

those big company are trying to make one thing and let me formulate it as fellow:

"User-Retention".

they are just trying to keep their users to them, but in this open world, none is acquired.

so please open the door.

let the Sub-product grow to a Product.
let people use your service without forcing them to be your and only yours.

let imagine that one day we can as "small boy, simple users" access all the service that make our pleasure with a single ID, an openId or Oauth.

No comments: